Sunday, November 4, 2007

Star Bright

This is the Buggy Barn class I took last weekend. The Star Bright block is done in 2 stacks of 13 FQ's each, all the lights in one stack and all the darks in another stack. I traced the pattern onto freezer paper and ironed on the top FQ. To cut through all 13 layers of fabric start with a new blade on your large cutter. Works like a dream. The above blocks are partly sewn together.
When both stacks are cut, it's time to do some shuffling of fabric. You can see the darks and lights have been exchanged in each stack. This makes 13 light stars with dark background and 13 dark stars with light background. The centre star is reversed as well but you can't see it because I haven't taken the freezer paper off.
Here is a finished block waiting for trimming. The block will be trimmed to 12 1/2" x 14 1/2". I've now finished the stack of light background blocks.....whew 13 blocks completed. I hope to have time today to work on the second stack of blocks.

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. I'm behind in blogging and hope to get caught up in the next couple of days.

27 comments:

Carol said...

Love your Buggy Barn star...they are so much fun to do.

Darlene said...

That's going to be so pretty! Great fabrics!

May Britt said...

Buggy Barn has great patterns. I love this stack and slash sewing.

Laurie said...

The buggy barn patterns are confusing at first with the stack and slash method but boy do you get a really nice quilt when you are done. I really like your stars and the fabrics that you have picked.

Ming said...

Lovely! Thank you for sharing.

Quilt crazy said...

Great stars! Look like so much fun!

*karendianne. said...

All I can say is "Wow!"

Judy said...

Isn't this a fun quilt to do? I did it in brights for a little girl. Love your choice of colors!

Pam said...

Looks great. 13 fabrics in each stack? That sounds like such a lot to cut through - Did you go to the actual Buggy Barn in Washington state to take the class? Love the star!!!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh they are wonderful! I love the buggy barn star patterns! And your colors/fabrics are perfect!

Quilter Kathy said...

That looks really trickey pattern to cut and sew. I can't imagine cutting through 13 layers!

Melanie said...

Great star blocks--- my kind of colors. Looks like you are having fun.

Unknown said...

I love the buggy barn stars but I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to do a star within a star - the block is gorgeous though

Floss said...

This is looking good. I like the small star in the center.
Nice colours

Unknown said...

Wow, cutting through all those layers of fabric I think I am not brave enough to try that. Your stars are lovely.

Andrea said...

Wendy - here is my address so you can send these to me - lol ! I LOVE them. Can I buy this pattern online do you know ?

Pat said...

I have been afraid to try the stack and whack. I have their daisy pattern and several of their books with this method in them. One paticular book has cats in it,I even have my fabrics picked out. I guess I need to JUST DO IT!
Your colors are wonderful.

Jeanne said...

Looks like a great way to do your stars. They are going to make a wonderful quilt.

Cheryl said...

I just love doing those Buggy Barn patterns. They are so forgiving and come out so wonderful.

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Aren't the Buggy Barn patterns so much fun to make? I could do that all day long. I just love them.

Hedgehog said...

What a great looking quilt! I really need to try one of the Buggy Barn patterns.

Carole said...

Love your choice of fabrics! That is a sweet looking block! thanks for the tutorial! Keep well!

Knot Garden said...

I've never tried stack and whack but yours is turning out beautifully. I always like star designs.

Thimbleanna said...

These look really cool Wendy! Can't wait to see how you put them together.

Not Lucy said...

Love these blocks! Do you use a full fat quarter of each or do you cut it to some other size first?

Rose Marie said...

That is a great pattern and thanks for the tip about cutting through all those layers ... it is well worth a try especially when you have lots of pieces to cut.

Libby said...

Those Buggy Barn gals sure are clever with there stack, slash and switch method.