Thursday, June 11, 2009

More Pictures and a Quilting Treat

Has it been a week already since I've been home....where did the time go??? It took me a few days to get back to my time zone and a normal routine again....what ever that might be. I thought a few more pictures of Portugal were needed, it's a difficult task of picking only a few from the over 700 photos we took. I'd go back to Portugal in a heart beat....such a beautiful place. If you want to skip the scenery photo's scroll down and you'll see the stitching I did while on the train trips we took.
This is Porto which is North of Lisbon. The boats are the old method of tranporting the grapes to the wineries. There are several wine caves we visited....and yes they gave us generous samples of port....we had a good time tasting.
More beautiful trees.

The green sign closest in the picture was our hotel in Faro, as far South as you can get in Portugal is the Algarve. When the hotel was renovated a few years ago they found Roman artifacts...pretty cool to be sleeping over a Roman Ruin site.
Lots of this blue tile work everywhere, both inside buildings and outside.
Just another street view. The narrow streets are fascinating. One door is the entrance to someones home and a bar right next door....how convenient for them.
This is Pena Palace in Sintra and the most beautiful I've ever seen, it's considered the Romantic period because of the ornate detail of the building. The palace dates back to 1839, walking around inside was amazing, I wish I could show so many more of this place.

This guy was over the main entrance, he would scare me away...for sure. I don't know how he fits with the Romantic period.

A little something I've made this week for a friends birthday.
Here are the bunny's I stitched while traveling around Portugal. Stitching with one colour made it easy to pick up and stitch whenever I had a few minutes.

I'm looking forward to getting these bunny's pieced into a quilt.
Posted by Picasa

25 comments:

Shakerwood said...

What beautiful architecture! I never thought about going there for vacation. What made you pick Portugal?

Purple Quilter Queen said...

Portugal is gorgeous! Your little trip projects are cute too. Jenn

Sue said...

Wonderful pictures, thanks for sharing them. The creature on the Pena Palace is really interesting, I wonder what the story is behind the tree on his head and the strange snakey legs?

Carrie P. said...

Love all the photos especially the blue tiles.
Great project to take along. Cute.

Mary said...

Your pictures are always so crisp and focused. I just have to ask - can't help myself - what camera and lens do you use?

And you have a great eye for the best angle. Your composition is always spot on! I'd love to have been right there with you.

Carol said...

What beautiful pictures! Love the gift for your friend and those bunnies are just wonderful!

Carrie ~ Cricketwood Prims said...

Your Portugal photos are wonderful.
I think your friend will be very happy and love your redwork, perfect take along project.

Stina Blomgren said...

Lovely photos.. hmm wonder what kind of trees you had on the picture.. the ones with purple flowers???
:o)) Anyway they were lovely...
Love the bag and the pincushion... and lots and lots of rabbits made!!! :o))

dotti white said...

Again, love the pictures from your trip! Your friend is very lucky to receive those beautiful gifts for her birthday! You are very sweet!

Unknown said...

The pictures from Portugal are fabulous! Thanks for sharing them. I love the bag that you made, what is the pattern called? The bunnies are adorable and will look fantastic in a quilt.

Kaaren said...

That quilt will be something really special in that it will always bring back special memories of your trip to Portugal.

Thanks for sharing, Wendy.

Candace said...

So many wonderful photos, Wendy! I think I could look at all 700 of them! Although he was a painter, that gruesome figure looks like something from Goya!
I love your bunnies, what a perfect project for the train rides!
Cheers!

Karen said...

The pictures are beautiful. I'm so glad you and hubby had such a wonderful time.
I love the little purse and pincushion. What a beautiful gift for your friend to receive.
The bunnies are adorable. Is that from Bunny Hill's chocolate bunny pattern?
Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Karen

Pam said...

Nice to see more pictures. You certainly had a great holiday.

I bought that bag pattern at the FVQG show a couple of weeks ago. How did you find it went together? I haven't made one yet but I do want to make up some - they are such cute bags.

Karen said...

Great pictures Wendy - although I agree, that guy over the doorway looks scary :). What a beautiful part of the country. Thank you for sharing your pictures and feel free to share more. Your giftie for a friend is adorable and oh my I love those redwork bunny blocks - they will be even more sweet when your put your spin on them in a quilt.

Have a great weekend - Hugs - karen

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy, thank you for your tour of Portugal.....love redwork and will be interested in seeing the finished project....Warm Regards Lyn

Judy said...

Skip the pictures...are you nuts! LOVE living in someone else vacation! WOW that looks like such a great place to visit. Yikes! are those horns growing from his head?

Love the redwork, you do such a nice job!

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Love your trip photos Wendy. They are great!! OMG you are on a roll with those bunnies. Mine are buried somewhere. lol May stay buried for quite sometime the rate I'm going.
Love the bag!! And the fabric. Is that a new pattern?? I like the size.

Wendy said...

Thanks for the photo tour! I love your little bunny stitchery - I look forward to seeing them turned into a quilt!

Carole said...

Beautiful pictures! Such a lovely trip! Looks like you accomplished quite a bit of hand work on your trip! bonus! thanks for sharing! Hugs!

Libby said...

Portugal looks like a wonderful place to visit. Love those jacaranda trees *s*

Darlene said...

What a beautiful spot on Earth! Thank you for sharing, Wendy.

Your stitcheries are sooooo cute!

Quilts And Pieces said...

What a lucky friend!!!! Man those pics from your trip are just awesome!

Lynn said...

I love looking at pictures of other places. I don't travel as much as I'd like so I can travel vicariously thru other people! We get so used to our way of life that when we travel (either thru pictures or in real life) we see how others live a perfectly acceptable way of life, yet TOTALLY different from ours. I love having a back yard, yet there are some who have no back yard or others who have MILES behind them! Life can be very interesting!
Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Anonymous said...

Oh your pictures are beautiful! What a wonderful trip :o) Love the bunnies!