Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Rome is Beautiful

A few random pictures of Rome. There are fountains all over Rome, some big like this one and some small along side the street, all with fresh drinking water. This beautiful fountain called Trevi Fountain was rediscovered after a movie was filmed here in 1944 (I think) called Three Coins something, I can't remember.

There are shops and buildings all around this square. We made a wish by throwing a coin over the right shoulder, I may not have the tradition completely correct. Throw a coin over your shoulder and you'll return to Rome....something like that.

We went to the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel. These next few pictures are actually the floor in the Sistine Chapel.  DH was giving me a hard time for taking pictures of the floor when the beauty is actually overhead, my neck was getting tired.....soooo. Since they didn't allow pictures of the walls and ceiling, I looked down and this is what I saw.....now I can take some pictures.

This is as close as I can get for posting something quilt related. All over the floor was the traditional quilting patterns. Do you think ideas for quilting patterns came from here....well maybe, not sure.

This is St. Peter's square, not too many people around, not even the Pope.

The left side of St. Peter's Square.

This is the oldest church in Rome, sorry I don't recall with name. Like all the churches, it's gorgeous inside.

This is the Roman Forum near the Colosseum.We avoided the 2 hour lines for the Colosseum by getting our tickets at the Forum which is entrance for both places.  I'll show pictures of the Colosseum later. We visited the location of Caesars remains and where his house once stood.  On a side note, I seem to have caught a Roman head cold somewhere along the way.  It's only taking me down for part of a day which I slept mostly. Did a bit of stitching and relaxed.

13 comments:

Quilting By Celia said...

Love your pictures. I'm visiting Rome later in the year ...

Cheryl said...

Rome looks wonderful...thanks for sharing. I think the patterns for blocks came from the mosaic tiles in churches!

paulette said...

I am SO enjoying 'my' trip to Rome!! Thanks for taking me along!
P

sunny said...

Lucky you! I really hope to get to Italy some day, and will plan a few days in Rome.

Heartsdesire said...

Lovely photos, Wendy. And those floor tiles are very interesting.

Quiltbenaco said...

Buon soggiorno nel nostro bel paese!
Ciao

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

I love Rome!! so much history. Hope you enjoy your travels and thanks for the pictures!
The movie was called "Three Coins in a Fountain"...love old movies!!

Marian said...

Glad to see I am not the only one who took pictures of the floors in Italy! So many quilt patterns wherever you look.
And yes, if you throw a coin into the Trevi Fountain you are supposed to return to Rome. Worked for me!

Robin said...

3 coins in a fountain! I have that movie. My mother always loved the little actress Maggie McNamara that stars in it. How fortunate you are to be able to see all the beauty of Rome.

Louise said...

Of all of you wonderful travels Wendy I think the Vatican is my favorite! I did wonder why you had "quilt photos" mixed in! My mistake, my oh my what a wonderful adventure.
Thank you so much for sharing.

Jeanne said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures of Rome. It's on my list of places I'd like to go someday. The floors are magnificent.

Carole said...

Wow! What a wonderful vacation. DD will be leaving for Rome early April with her French club. They will work their way to France, Paris being the last stop. Love the floors, you could make a small quilt as a souvenir of your trip using the floor pattern! ;o) Thanks for sharing your lovely trip! It's the next best thing to being there!

voyance said...

Read your article I know you is how much of the hard to write this article, looking forward to your more good article. and here lots of cheap air jordan shoes for you !
voyance mail gratuite