Sunday, September 9, 2007

Oak Leaf Table Mat Finished!

I finished the wool table mat that I took at Buggy Barn Quilt Shop with Maggie Bonanomi of Need'l Love. I always enjoy taking a class because each time I'll learn something new. Maggie does her wool applique with plain all purpose thread. For this mat I used one colour of Coats brown. The tongues are another really neat trick. The strip of wool is the width of the mat. I folded in in half and made a little snip in the middle, then I folded the half in half and made another snip. Then I took the half again and divided it in to three and snipped again. This technique gave me 12 tongues on long one side. After I have finished dividing all the sections, I snipped each tongue to about 1/4" away from cutting all the way through (you can see in the picture below). I then rounded off each tongue by cutting from the top of each (not coming up from the bottom). The bottom being the edge that is straight and will be sewn to the mat.
When all the strips of tongues were ready I sewed these to the mat with a whip-stitch on top. I also backed the mat with a piece of cotton to finish it off.

Happy Stitching Everyone. Thanks for visiting my blog.

28 comments:

dot said...

Very nice table topper. I like the homey feel it gives.

Knot Garden said...

Wow, gorgeous! I love the way the design fills the whole mat, and the colours are lovely.

Ginny Worden said...

Wow, what a great tip for the tongues on wool projects. Up on till now I have avoided doing them for fear of not getting them even, or nicely attached. The table mat is lovely, and I am very envious that you were able to take a class from Maggie B. Thanks for sharing.

Karen said...

Oh Wendy that turned out so beautiful. What a cool way to do those tongues and that's interesting what Maggie uses for stitching down her pieces. You were very speedy on getting that finished. Congrats on that.

Hugs - Karen

JoAnna said...

It's so pretty! I love it. Your table is going to look so cool.

Darlene said...

Another beauty completed. Way to go, Wendy! Love the tips and tricks!

Doodlebug Gail said...

That is gorgeous Wendy and thanks for sharing the curved edging instructions with us.

Chookyblue...... said...

very nice.......pleased it is finished so quick.......

tami said...

That is beautiful. I love wool applique. That is a great tip on how to do tongues.

~Bren~ said...

Oh Wendy, that is beautiful!!! Very warm.

Mar said...

that turned out great, thanks for that little lesson, individual tongues take forever!

Libby said...

I love it! What a clever way to make the tongues . . . I'll have to store that little tip in the recesses of my brain for future reference *s*

Alisa said...

Wendy, it's beautiful. Just in time for fall!

Floss said...

Very nice table topper, the colours are lovely

Angela said...

Yummy yummy YUMMY!

Carol said...

Wendy it is spectacular! I love Maggie's designs.

Elizabeth said...

That is such a wonderful piece! Just lovely!

Judy said...

Just beautiful! Do you have any hints for the tiny stems that seem to frey too much before stitching them down? Did you trim them as you went of use something to keep them in check? That's one thing I can't seem to get solved with thin stems in wool.

Jeanne said...

It's spectacular! I love the colors and the design. Great finish.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

It's warm and wonderful and welcoming! Well done!! Thanks for the tip on cutting tongues.

Carole said...

That is really sweet! I just love it! Thanks for sharing the technique you learned. Keep well!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Wendy, it's splendid ! I love everything : the pattern, the colors,.... and the quilter !
Smiles,

NADINE

KC Quilter said...

The tablemat is absolutely gorgeous! Maggie is a local teacher and widely regarded around these parts. I MUST take a class from her!!!

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Hey thanks for the tip on the penny's. It beats the heck out of sewing all those little things individually.

Alice I. said...

Wendy! You done good, girl!! That topper is so beautiful. The tip on cutting the tongues will be very useful! It sure beats cutting each one individually. I really like the color choices you made. It speaks of fall, and just in time! Thanks for sharing.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh baby - I really love this one! It is looking great!

Patti said...

What a great short-cut on making the tongues. I'm going to have to remember this one. I never would have guessed they were done this way by looking at the mat.

Gane said...

This was one nice story about Best Table Mate In India, thanks for sharing it here.