Friday, May 25, 2007

Off to Retreat with my Bags.....

Something you don't know about me is I have an obsession with making bags. I LOVE bags of all shapes and sizes. I find them fun and challenging to make, when I'm done I have something that I can use for various outings. I don't go out and purchase bags, only make them.
I don't know why this bag has been a UFO for about a year now, other than I couldn't decide if I wanted to put on fabric handles or the leather handles I've already purchased. Shouldn't be such a hard decision but I couldn't make up my mind, so there it sat. I'm leaving for my 5 day retreat on Sunday so this is the time to stop procrastinating, which BTW is another thing I do often. I seem to wait until the last minute to get things done. I always have lots of time to complete what I've been procrastinating about and get it done well but I put it off as long as possible.
I use this bag the most for going to retreats. The bag has a square bottom and sides that stand up, it will hold most of my project and sometimes I can even fit the rulers in. I call this my Flower Bag and also use this for taking to classes.

This is a Bareroots pattern and I just love it. I can use this when I'm taking my quilts for show and tell at my stitchery group meetings. I use this bag a lot.
I like this bag for taking along small stitchery projects, such as redwork and embroidery of any kind. The bag is made from Charm Squares and it's called 17 Patch Bag. When not holding my stitchery I can also use this as a toiletry bag, it holds my tooth brush etc.
And here is my knitting bag, well it's become my knitting bag since I started knitting last Feb. I had a really big urge to knit socks so I took a class and since Feb I've made 5 pairs and still love it.

So there you have it my collection of bags. I'm sure there are a couple more I've missed but these are the one's I use the most. I hope you enjoy them.

Have a great week, I'll be in wine country on a 5 day retreat.

22 comments:

Darlene said...

Well, my goodness I thought you were leaving on your retreat TODAY! Where's my brain?

Oh, your post has given me an opening for my next post on my blog! I have a HUGE aversion to making bags. LOL They completely baffle me. And, now I have an idea for another surprise goodie to add to your BOX of goodies. I'm so excited now!

Darlene said...

Well, for goodness sake I failed to tell you that I love all your bags! You are soooooo talented - tell me that you teach classes on "bag making". If not, then you really should.

Melanie said...

I love these!!! It's tough to pick out a favorite. I'm just now getting brave enough to attempt some bags. Enjoy your weekend

tami said...

I love all of your bags. You do great work. I think I need to make myself some more bags so I can have a differnt bag for every occasion. Too fun.

Kim said...

Thanks for sharing your bags--I've been wanting to make some too and yours inspire me! Have a great retreat!

Libby said...

Usually I just collect bags from the retreats that I go to - seems like they often provide a goody bag. Then I don't have to make my bag. Great minds must think alike though . . . I have the Bareroots bag, too. I made it for my first retreat (had to show up with something cute *s*)

May Britt said...

LOVE THEM ALL!!!! I am also a bag lady and have a lot of bags. Love your 17 patch bag. Do you know where I can get this pattern.

Unknown said...

Arrrrr another bag lady, I love your square bottomed bag and of course the bareroots bag, which I've also stitched up. Hope you have a wonderful time at your retreat and that you have lots to show us on your return.

Rose Marie said...

What a great collection of bags! Have fun at your retreat!

Pam said...

Another retreat - lucky you!!

I love bags as well. Those are all wonderful bags. I think the leather handles would be perfect.

Have a great time at your retreat :))

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh my goodness! Darlene is right - you do make gorgeous bags!

Knot Garden said...

I love all your bags, especially your retreat bag and the 17-patch bag. Hope you have fun at the retreat!

keslyn said...

Love all your bags, you can never have too many bags, there is always something you can find to put inot one.
Hope you are having fun on your retreat.
Happy sewing
Kerry

Nicole said...

Your bags are divine! I am like Darlene, and have avoided making them for some reason. Now that I have seen yours, I may have to jump in and try it.

Betty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Betty said...

your bags are wonderful, I too love making them and you are a knitter too?? I have made so many socks they are such fun, I need to add them to my blog
Have a fun retreat

Quilter Kathy said...

Wonderful selection of bags Wendy!
You seem to be good at everything you do!

Melinda said...

Great bags - I can't wait to see which handles you decide on.

Unknown said...

That 17 patch bag is beautiful. I've been trying to find the pattern but Google is not being it's amazing self. How did you put it together because i?ve tried but I'm having 3 left over patches (and a reaally wide opening)

Maria said...

I loved your bags, above them all the 17 patch bag, it´s super

Nancy Anne in the Finger Lakes said...

Really, really love the bags - any chance you can tell us where you got the pattern for the 17-patch purse?

jovaliquilts said...

Beautiful bags! I especially like the big retreat bag with the square bottom. Such a good idea!
Cheri